SATIN OR SILK: How to Avoid Impulse Buying

Saturday, February 11

How to Avoid Impulse Buying

Impulse buys are the biggest money waster ever. Seriously. Here are my tips to help avoid them.  
 

Sleep on it 
If you see an item in store and get that "oh my God I really want this" feeling, try not to grab it and run for the counter straight away. If you have the opportunity, go home and sleep on it. If you're still thinking about the item one or two days later then you can consider going back for it. 

When shopping online, I bookmark all of the things I like and then go back and decide what I really want. Which brings me to my next point...

Make a Wishlist
Most online stores also have a wishlist feature that you can use to keep track of everything you like. I also have a couple of wishlist boards on Pinterest where I pin clothes and accessories that I like.

If you are planning an upcoming shopping expedition (and yes, it is definitely an expedition), plan what you are going to buy. If you have time, go through your wardrobe and work out what's missing, keeping in mind the basics and classic pieces that you need to bring everything together. Making a wishlist (and sticking to it) ensures that you'll use everything you buy and won't forget anything important.
 
The Wear-ability Checklist
While you're considering a purchase, it's important to think about how much wear it will get. There are few questions that I ask myself pre-buy... 

Consider the following scenario: You're in a certain chain store beginning with 'S' and are about to impulse buy a body-con, multi-coloured sequin mini skirt. You ask yourself:

Am I happy with how it looks on me? You may or may not be, but a few years from now the answer will probably be 'no'.
Can it be worn with three or more items already in my wardrobe? A black tank top, a white tank top and er... not much else.
Can it be worn in different seasons? Even with black opaques, this would only be temperature appropriate on a warm day.
Will it be in style for a long time? Was it ever 'in style' to begin with?
Is it appropriate for different occasions? NYE only happens once a year
Is it well-made with quality fabric? If it comes from said shop, then probably not.

Impulse Buys

A good quality, black blazer in a great fit, however, is a much smarter buy. This classic piece can be worn almost all year and will go with pretty much anything. That includes a blouse and pencil skirt for work or a floaty floral dress for the weekend.

Remember; if sequined mini skirts are your thing, then go for it! The most important thing to consider is your own lifestyle. Different clothes will be more or less wearable for different people. 

Do your Homework 
When planning a big-ticket buy, I check out online stores, catalogues, magazines etc. to find the best price. Also, if you have a few items in mind, compare them by reading reviews on different sites. I like Beauty Heaven or Beautylish to compare beauty and personal care. Choice has lots and lots of reviews on household goodies. 

Have fun saving your precious pennies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...