SATIN OR SILK: How I Grew My Hair Long: Do's and Dont's of Haircare

Sunday, August 5

How I Grew My Hair Long: Do's and Dont's of Haircare

Always wanted to grow out your hair? Here's how I grew mine...

DO

Get smaller trims less frequently
Check your ends each day; if you notice splitting then book in for a trim. Tell your hairdresser that you are growing your hair and they will be happy to take off a 0.5 cm. You won't even notice it's gone! 

Trimming your hair will not make it grow faster, but the longer you leave your split ends, the further they will travel up the hair shaft. This results in more breakage and dry, messy ends that will need to be cut off in inches (Read: your hair will be even shorter)
Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net

DON'T 

Use a hairdryer
I always wash my hair at night and let it air dry. If you really need to blow dry it, use the lowest heat setting and direct the airflow down the hair shaft, never against it. 

DO 

Style your hair without heat
Try to use heat tools no more than twice a week. You can braid your hair before going to bed or rag roll it for natural looking waves or curls.

DON'T 

Use too many hair products
Now this is ultimately up to you, of course, but if you don't over-style or over-wash your hair, you will probably find that you won't need a whole bunch of expensive treatments or styling products anymore. Your wallet and hair will thank you.

DO

Use a sulphate-free shampoo
Try Natural Instinct Natural Shampoo (from $7.95),  Yes to Blueberries Healthy Hair Repair Shampoo ($7.99) or Sukin Protein Shampoo ($10.95) I haven't used these myself (yet) but they do have really good ingredients. 

In other shampoos, check the ingredients for sodium laurel sulphate, sodium laureth sulphate or any others. These ingredients are surfactants; foaming and cleansing agents, which have a drying effect on the hair and skin.  

DON'T 

Over-wash your hair 
I know none of us here want our hair to look greasy, but sometimes if you take the natural oils away, your hair will overcompensate by producing even more oil, so you will have to wash it even more often. Totally counterproductive.

MY CURRENT ROUTINE:

I wash my hair every second night with my Organix Rejuvenating Cherry Blossom Ginseng shampoo. I only use a small amount and only around my hairline where it gets oily. 

Once a week, I also lather a small drop of extra virgin olive oil in wet hands, then gently rub through the ends and mid-lengths of hair while wet. 

I hope these tips help you out! Let me know if they worked for you or what else you have tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...