SATIN OR SILK: Interview with Tashina Combs: Creator of Vegan Beauty Blog Logical Harmony

Sunday, August 18

Interview with Tashina Combs: Creator of Vegan Beauty Blog Logical Harmony

I have recently conducted an interview with Tashina Combs, Creator and Editor in Chief of vegan lifestyle blog Logical Harmony. I am so excited to be able to share her cruelty-free cosmetics story with you all. Read on to discover her favourite brands, makeup tips, advice on going cruelty-free and some exciting new projects coming up for Logical Harmony in the near future.

Logical Harmony
 

What first triggered you to go cruelty-free?

I first became of the issues regarding animal testing for beauty and skin care products as a kid. It shocked me that animals were being abused like that for regular items. The more I researched it and read about how unnecessary and inaccurate these tests are, the more I wanted to spread the word and change how I was living. I grew up being aware of the issue and trying to bring as much awareness to it as I could. When I made the change to a vegan lifestyle, and Logical Harmony became a vegan blog, it only made sense to use my blog as a way to channel that information as well. To me, cruelty-free means truly cruelty-free. All items featured on Logical Harmony, and that I use in my everyday life, are not tested on animals and do not contain animal ingredients. The processes in which these are sourced is often just as terrible as animal testing processes are.

Was it an easy process?

At first it seemed difficult. I would read on one site that a brand was cruelty free, then read on another that they were not. I was constantly confused! It seemed impossible to find straight and consistent answers. That's why I decided to research what questions a company should be asked (Leaping Bunny was a great resource for this, but you can now find my template in my FAQ section http://www.logicalharmony.net/faq) and started reaching out to brands myself. Every brand listed on my Cruelty Free & Vegan Brand List (http://www.logicalharmony.net/cruelty-free-vegan-brand-list/) has been personally curated by me and I've received responses that I feel I can trust. Once I decided to start checking for brands on my own, it became a lot easier to switch to all cruelty-free items!

Do you have any favourite cruelty-free brands or products?

Oh wow. I have so many!! Metamour Skin Care, Ellovi, NCLA, E.L.F. and Flower Beauty and Beautisol are some of my favorite brands. All items made by these brands are completely cruelty-free and they all have great products.
Cruelty Free Brands


Why are makeup and beauty products important to you?

To me, it's part of self-expression. I didn't grow up being into makeup at all. In fact, I didn't even wear makeup until I was 21 and a friend at the time pulled a Cher and Tia in Clueless type makeover. I just think it's so much fun! It's really important to be who you are and I think that includes how you look as well. Plus, there's something to be said about the little rush that you get from finding a new favorite lip gloss or realizing how cute your new eyeshadow really is!

Can you share some of your beauty tips and tricks with us?

Learn how to contour the correct way! It's one of the most important things to master in your makeup routine because it's a quick step that can do so much for your look. Also, always buy brightening under eye concealer. Trust me on this one.

What advice can you offer to others wanting to go cruelty-free?

Don't be intimidated! I have been there and realize how hard it seems like it can be - but don't let it scare you aware! See it as a chance to try new brands and new products. I don't know anyone that doesn't love that! Also, learn what questions to ask brands and become an empowered consumer.

What resources do you use to find cruelty-free brands?

To be honest, I've been burned one too many times by incorrect information on other cruelty-free blogs or cruelty-free brand lists. I go to all brands directly on my own. If I don't receive a response that I feel I can trust, I don't buy items from the brand and they are not supported by Logical Harmony. The only organization whose list I trust is Leaping Bunny, but I always email those brands myself since Leaping Bunny only asks about animal testing and not the use of animal ingredients.

Where do you find inspiration for your blog?

Everywhere! My readers who suggest topics and asks about brands, the emails I get thanking me for what I do on Logical Harmony, reading other blogs (A Beautiful Mess - http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/- and Betty Means Business -http://www.bettymeansbusiness.com - in particular), staying up to date with organizations like Humane Society International, reading books by people who turned their hobbies into a day job, emails I receive from brands… The sources are endless.

What do you love most about your role as a blogger?

It's been such an inspiring journey! My readers inspire me SO much and I am so thankful for each and every single one!! The emails, comments and reactions on social media are all so touching and amazing. I feel so blessed by everything my blog has brought me and all the amazing people I have met through Logical Harmony.

Can you give us any hints of future posts or projects to watch out for?

I've definitely got a lot up my sleeve for Logical Harmony! You can expect more updates on cruelty-free laws around the world, introductions to lots of new cruelty-free brands and products, and more. I'm starting to work on more cooking and lifestyle pieces. I also have an ebook in the works!
Check out Logical Harmony here to keep up with cruelty-free news and find out more about being animal-friendly.

TWITTER // FACEBOOK // PINTEREST

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...